Section 1. Main content. Admission requirements (Bachelor's degree programme).
Applicants must be in possession of one of the following qualifications:
a) Swiss diplomas, awarded in Switzerland:
- Maturità federale and Maturità cantonale recognised by the appropriate Federal Commission;
- Maturità commerciale cantonale;
- Final diploma from a university of applied sciences or diploma of a technical college recognised by the appropriate federal authorities: in these cases, where the field of study selected is the same as the previous one, the single Faculties may recommend admitting candidates to an advanced level of the programme and exempt them from particular examinations or from the internship period.
- School-leaving certificates issued by Swiss schools abroad are equally accepted.
b) Overseas certificates
Applicants in possession of a foreign secondary education and/or of a foreign university diploma considered to be equivalent are admitted to the undergraduate programme. As a rule, reference is made to the guidelines of the University Admissions Commission of the Rectors’ Conference of the Swiss Universities. Should there be doubt about the equivalence of a foreign qualification, this can be resolved by means of an interview or exam; language requirements and/or supplementary courses may also be required.
The following diplomas of secondary education, awarded by Italian High Schools and technical colleges, are recognised as equivalent (the Accademia di architettura does not recognised diplomas awarded by technical colleges):
- Maturità classica;
- Maturità scientifica;
- Maturità linguistica;
- Maturità tecnica commerciale (only for Economics, Communication and Informatics);
- Maturità tecniche quinquennali (five years) if applying to the same field of study (only for Economics, Communication and Informatics);
- Other types of five-year school leaving qualification (if there is the same course of study or if the directives of the Swiss Universities' Rectors Conference Admissions Commission are satisfied);
- Maturità artistica quinquennale (five-year fine arts or technical) awarded by a Liceo Artistico (only for the Accademia di architettura).
As to qualifications awarded in other countries:
- The European Baccalaureat is considered to be equivalent whereas the International Baccalaureat is accepted as a suitable equivalent only if the final average grade is above a certain class. More information are available on the CRUS' website.
- A US High School final diploma is not recognised as equivalent to the required certificate of secondary education. US applicants seeking admission to USI must submit evidence of having studied for 2 years in a recognised university, or have passed 5 (five) APT (Advanced placement tests) with a minimum mark of 3, in two languages, mathematics, a natural science, and a social science subject. Please refer to the appropriate guidelines issued by the Rectors’ Conference of Swiss Universities.
- For foreign students a good command of Italian is required for the Bachelor in Communication Studies and the Bachelor in Economics (B2 level of the international language certificate's frames).
c) Mature students (‘su dossier’)
Candidates aged 25 or more, although not in possession of the required certificate of secondary education, may be admitted if their previous training and work experience (appropriately documented in their application file) is considered to be sufficient and relevant.
N.B. Students who have, in another university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland or abroad, exceeded the number of failed examinations permitted by the Study Regulations, and have as a result been rejected by that university, shall not be admitted to study in the same Faculty or field of study (Admission and Matriculation Regulations, Art. 6).
There is 1 pdf file to download.