Research policy and grant proposal writing
Lecturer: Benedetto Lepori
Tipo di corso: Corso per dottorandi
Valore in crediti ECTS: 3
To register for the class, please log in here: http://www.phdsubscription.lu.usi.ch/
This course will provide to PhD students information and competences concerning the overall framework of the Swiss research policy and research system, as well as on the interaction with funding agencies and procedures for project submission and proposal writing. These competences are increasingly becoming an essential part of researcher’s training, helping her to interact with its policy and funding environment.
More precisely, the course will deal with the following topics:
- the goals and organisation of the Swiss research policy, as well as a short introduction on the structure of the Swiss research system.
- the type and features of the most important funding instruments available, including Swiss National Science Foundation, European Union, Swiss Innovation Agency.
- the procedures for project submission and how to write grant proposal taking into account the specific requirements and goals of each funding agency.
The courses is structured in two main activities:
a) Four face-to-face lectures on the following topics:
- the organisation of the Swiss research system.
- organisation and goals of the Swiss research policy.
- main funding agencies and instruments.
- grant proposal writing and submission.
b) A practical work consisting in the analysis of a project proposal dealing with its structure, presentation and argumentation strategy.
This work will be done in groups of 3-4 PhD students for each of the four case studies proposed. The case studies will be presented in the introductory lecture; then, students will have to perform the analysis and present the results for discussion in the final course workshop.